Provided by JM Sorrell, anti-racism trainer at Sojourner Truth School for Social Change Leadership
Immediate Ways to Be Anti-Racist
- Read and study with an open mind to believe that racism in all of its forms is pernicious and ever-present. Many white people believe it is a thing of the past. Inform yourself.
- Volunteer for an organization serving communities of color. Be prepared to learn and to take direction as you offer to help in any way you can
- Give money to a cause/organization that is about dismantling racism and/or serving people of color.
- Do not accept racism in your inner circle. Call it out.
Sustainable Anti-Racist Work
- Ensure racial equity in causes and community work you are involved in. Insist on it.
- Write letters to newspapers and people in power when you see racial injustice. Write as a white anti-racist activist. Model for other white people.
- Teach yourself to be aware of how people of color are perceived in public spaces. Be ready to intervene or to support someone in need.
- Work on laws and policies to eradicate racist practices.
- Consciously support businesses owned by people of color.
- Enlarge your circle.